Preparation Time: 20 minutes
Cooking Time: 25 minutes (15 minutes for beans and 10 minutes baking time)
- 1 bag of tortilla chips, 14.5 oz.
- 1 can red kidney beans, 19 oz.
- 1-1/2 tablespoons oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 small plum tomato, chopped
- 1 jalapeno, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon red chili powder
- Salt, to taste
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 2 to 3 jalapeños, sliced
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 1 small green capsicum, chopped
- 1 red capsicum, chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh coriander leaves, chopped
- 1/2 cup spring onion, chopped
- 2 bags of mozzarella cheese (16 oz. each)
- To make the beans, heat oil on a pan and add the chopped onion. Sauté until medium brown. Then, add chopped garlic and jalapeño and sauté until it is tender. Lastly, add chopped tomatoes and when they are softened, add cumin powder, red chili powder and salt. Mix well.
- Rinse and drain the kidney beans from the can (or rinse, soak and boil, if from a bag). Mix well and cook for another five minutes. Keep it aside.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
- On a baking plate, arrange the tortilla chips/ corn chips. On the top of the chips, spread the cooked kidney beans first, then layered with half of the chopped veggies listed above. Put cheese on the top and then layer with other half veggies.
- Put the chips with toppings inside the preheated oven and bake until cheese melts.
- Serve hot with sides of Salsa, green hot Mexican (El Yucateco) sauce and fresh guacamole. (For Fresh Homemade Tomato Salsa check the recipe on my blog.)