Soaking time: 4 hours
Fermentation time: 6 to 7 hours
Prep time: 15 Minutes
Cooking time: 30 to 35 minutes
- 1-1/2 cups parboiled rice
- 1/2 cup urad dal (split black urad dal)
- 1 teaspoon fenugreek seeds
- Oil and ghee for frying
- Salt to taste
- Soak urad dal and fenugreek seeds in water for 4 hours and then drain. At the same time, soak rice in water for 4 hours and then drain.
- Blend the urad dal and fenugreek seeds together in a mixer until you have a smooth paste-like consistency. Add water little by little, as required.
- Blend the rice in a mixer adding a little water, as required.
- Combine both pastes together in a bowl, cover it and keep aside to ferment (6 to 7 hours).
- Once the batter is fermented, add salt to the batter and mix it well. Thin with water, if necessary, before proceeding.
- To make the dosas, set a griddle or cast iron skillet over medium heat and brush with 1 teaspoon of oil.
- Ladle 1/4 cup batter in the center of griddle, using the bottom of ladle, and quickly spread the batter outward in a circular motion to a diameter of about 7 to 8 inches. Drizzle oil or ghee over the top.
- Leave the dosa batter to brown gradually until the outer edges begin to look dry. Cook on one side only. With a spatula, carefully loosen the dosa from the griddle. The bottom should be crisp and browned.
- Continue making dosas, one at a time.
- Serve hot with coconut chutney, sambar and aloo bhaji on the side.