Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 20 minutes
- 4 long turiya
- 3 tablespoons dhana powder (coriander powder)
- 1 tablespoon jeera powder (cumin powder)
- 2 tablespoons red chilli powder
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder plus an additional 1/2 teaspoon for later use
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 tablespoon gram flour
- Pinch of hing
- 4 tablespoons oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh chopped green coriander leaves
- Salt to taste
- First, wash and clean the turiya. Let them dry completely prior to peeling, cutting and cooking.
- Once dry, peel the turiya and cut them in halves. Then, slit them lengthwise keeping the other side intact. (Reference the subsequent photographs if unclear)
- In a bowl, combine all the spices and salt and mix well. Fill the slit portion of the turiya with the spice mix.
- Heat oil on a pan and add mustard and cumin seeds. When they start to crackle, add hing and the 1/2 teaspoon portion of turmeric powder.
- Add in all the turiya and mix well. Cover the pan and cook over low flame for 10 minutes or until the turiya is completely cooked (to taste).
- Garnish with coriander leaves.
- Serve hot with roti, paratha or rice.