Soaking time: 3 to 4 hours
Prep time: 15 minutes
Fermenting time: 8 to 10 hours
Cooking time: 40 to 45 minutes
- 3 cups parboiled rice
- 1 cup urad dal (split black urad dal)
- 1 cup cooked rice
- 1 teaspoon fenugreek seeds
- salt to taste
- Oil for greasing the mould plates
- Soak the urad dal and fenugreek seeds in enough water for 3 to 4 hours and drain. Soak the rice seperately in enough water for 3 to 4 hours and drain
- Blend the urad dal and fenugreek seeds together in a mixer until you get the consistency of a smooth paste. Add water, little by little, as required
- Blend the rice and cooked rice in a mixer until you get a smooth consistency. Add a little water, as required. Combine the dal paste and rice paste together in a bowl and cover. Keep aside to ferment (8 to 10 hours).
- Once the batter is fermented, add salt to the batter and mix well.
- Put spoonfuls of the batter into the greased idli moulds and steam for 10 minutes. Take out the idli stands (holding the moulds upright) from the idli pot. Take out the idli from the moulds. Repeat with the remaining batter to make additional idlis.
- Serve hot with coconut chutney and sambhar.
1. You may make idli sandwiches with leftover idli (Check my blog recipe titled, "Idli sandwich"). Or, you may stir fry idli with vegetables.