Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cooking Time: 15 minutes
- 1 1/2 cups kanki / broken rice
- 3 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 3 teaspoons sesame seeds
- 3 teaspoons green chili minced and adjusted according to your spice level
- 1/2 cup fresh coriander leaves chopped + 2 additional tablespoons for garnish
- 3 tablespoon oil or ghee for garnishing (your choice)
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoon papadia khar
- Pinch of asafoetida
- Methi masala for garnish
- 7 1/2 cups water
- Wash and soak kanki in water for 30 minutes. Once soaked, drain the water.
- In a pot, add the soaked kanki and all the ingredients mentioned above, including water, except the methi masala and garnishes. Mix everything together with a spatula.
- Put the pot in a pressure cooker and cook to eight whistles on medium heat. (Don't forget to add water in the pressure cooker and then place the pot in)
- Let cooker get cool. Open and stir the khichu before serving.
- Garnish with methi masala, coriander leaves and oil/ghee.