recipe and enjoy the dish.
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
Ingredients for the Bhaji:
- 3 Idaho potatoes (boiled, peeled and mashed)
- 1/4 cup boiled and mashed green peas
- 1 medium onion (diced)
- 1/2 small green capsicum (diced)
- 6 plum tomatoes (diced)
- 2 tablespoons pav bhaji masala
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- salt to taste
- 8 pieces of pav bhaji bread (buns)
- 8 teaspoons butter (for the bread)
- 10 to 12 cloves garlic
- 2 green chillies
- 4 teaspoons red chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dhanajeera powder/cumin and coriander powder
- 2 tablespoons green coriander leaves
- salt to taste
For the garnishing:
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup chopped green coriander leaves
- 4 lemon wedges
- Butter (four small squares)
- First, to make the chili paste, add every thing in a food processor and blend. Then, add a little water and keep aside.
- Heat the butter and oil in a large pan or kadai.
- Add the onions, a little salt and saute for a five minutes while stirring occasionally. Once the onions are translucent, add the green capsicum and mashed green peas. Saute for 2 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes and cook for 4 to 5 minutes. Mash well using a potato masher
- Add boiled potatoes, mix well and cook for 3 minutes. Then, add 1/2 cup of water and cook for 2 more minutes, while mashing it with the help of a masher.
- Add the red garlic chili paste, pav bhaji masala and salt (add a little salt as there is already salt in the garlic paste.). Cook for 2 to 3 minutes (add less paste if you don't want it too spicy).
- The bhaji is now ready to serve. Garnish it with green coriander leaves
- Slit the bread vertically while heating a large tava/pan/griddle. Add butter and the bread, cut in half, on the pan. Cook on medium heat until they turn light brown and crisp on both sides.
- Serve the bhaji with bread, onion and a lemon wedge.
- Top the bhaji with butter (optional).